Monday, July 13, 2009

Our Poor Little Max











On Friday morning Max started getting some bumps on his arms they didn't look very good but I didn't think much of it, we were on our way to the ENT to get his ears checked because his left ear tube was blocked so I figured I could ask her then. When we got to the doctor I had to change his diaper and noticed it had spread all over his body and it just didn't look good, So I asked the doctor and she seemed to think it was from the Augmentin he just got done taking. As the day went on I was still a little nervous and decided to go see a Pediatrcian he said the same thing and told me not to worry about it. So we went home and tried to make him comfortable with Benadryl and a oatmeal bath. He slept ok that night and was fine Saturday morning he went down for a nap and woke up looking worse then ever his eyes were puffed up and just overall was misserable. I called the doctors office after I started realizing he wasn't moving and everytime we touched him he would scream. I took him in on Saturday @ 7p.m. and the Doctor took one look at him and said I don't think this is a allergic reaction and went and got a book of pictures of what he thought it was he called it Erythema multiforme. This is a reaction to a medicine or a virus and it is the way the body responds to it. We don't know what it was from it could be the Augmentin or his one year shots that he got just on July 8th or a virus he was exposed to. The Doctor went on and told me that he needed to be admitted and that kids have died from this. So I took him to Timpanogos Hospital immediatly. They started a IV that was awful to be a part of thankfully my aunt Terry was there with me. They ran some tests and gave him IV fluids he started to feel better once Mike got there (he is a big time daddy's boy) We stayed there overnight which Max hated and did not sleep very well at all. The next morning the doctor came and thought he looked a lot better so we were able to go home. We will never know what caused it but, I know I will never give him anything with penicillin in it again. The doctor told us this was very rare and only 1% of kids under the age of one get this. It can happen again which we hope it won't. We are very happy he is getting better and we appreciate the help we got from family and friends. Sorry if this is not written properly I am not much in the mood to re read it and check it I would like to put this past us. It has been really hard and hope we will not have anymore problems you never want your kids to be sick and watch them go thru anykind of pain. Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment